When I teach a class on Excel there is usually a long waiting list. If I teach Power Point, the class is always full. But when I teach Word, it’s hard to get any ‘takers’.
This lack of interest bothers me. Do people believe they have mastered Word because they can hack their way through a cover letter or a resume? If so, there is a significant lack of respect being shown. Using Word to create a one page document and thinking you have mastered it is like boiling an egg and believing you can make a souffle.
Here are a few things that you should know how to do if you want to use Word like a boss:
- Customized multi-level lists
- Customized styles associated with specific templates
- Different first page headers and footers
- Inserting images properly so that text flows the way you want it to
- Bookmarks to section titles so they automatically update
I could go on and on, but I won’t. All I am saying is: Show “Word” some respect! If you don’t know how to do the things I listed, and you work with text documents, you owe it to yourself to learn Word.